Interview Stream: Web-Based Interview Practice
is it? | Who can use it? | Log in | How much time does it take?
Can I use it more than once? | 3 easy steps | More resources | I don't have a webcam!
I want someone to review my interview | Is this the only practice interview option?
- Interview Stream is a web-based mock interview program to assist you in preparation for upcoming interviews for internships, jobs, or graduate or professional school admission. It is a simple, fun, and effective way to refine and master your interviewing skills. This program has been offered by Career Services since the start of spring semester 2010.
- Anyone with a Virginia Tech PID and password; so that includes students, employees and alumni.
Alumni who need VT PID and password help, see Alumni Association instructions on VT PID + password. Career Services has no control over or access to VT PID and password issues!
- In about 30 minutes you can get logged in, follow some basic steps to do a general interview, record your responses to interview questions and review your responses.
- Time will vary among users because you have the opportunity to:
- Re-try responses, save or delete responses.
- Select from a detailed menu of questions (instead of using a general interview).
- Stop anytime, and log in later to finish an interview.
- Use other resources on the Dashboard, like tips and webinars.
- Sure can. You can save responses and review them later. You can choose different interview questions.
(A detailed tutorial is in Interview Stream; select "Tutorial" in the User Dashboard)
After you log in to Interview Stream:
- Choose Interview Set: Pick your interview set or create your own interview from a list of over 1500 questions.
- Conduct Practice Interview: Conduct your interview with any webcam, any MAC, any PC, anywhere, anytime. Video interviewer will ask the first question, then the webcam begins recording. Mouse-click to stop recording. Review, retry, or continue to the next question.
- Watch and Share with Others: Click a question to review a response. Review it with a friend or professor or career advisor. You'll also have the opportunity to count your filler words ("umm," "like," "you know!")
- Take advantage of all components on the User Dashboard, which includes interview tips and a webinar on strategies and tactics to succeed in the interview process.
- No webcam? Call our office at (540) 231-6241 during office hours and we'll work with you to schedule a time for you to come in and use a Career Services computer with webcam in in a private room in our office.
- You can request an appointment during which a Career Services advisor would review your web-based interview with you (subject to scheduling availability). Call (540) 231-6241 or visit our office during office hours to schedule. Once scheduled, you must e-mail the advisor the link to your interview so s/he can be ready for your one-on-one meeting.
- You can also give review access to others: faculty members who have assigned a practice interview, advisors, friends, etc. It's a simple matter of e-mailing that person while you are in Interview Stream (having asked that person's permission in advance, of course!).
- No. Interview Stream is intended to supplement the in-person Mock Interview Program that Career Services has conducted for many years. If you want to follow up your web-based experience with an in-person Mock Interview (which is encouraged), you can do so; read about and register for the (in-person) Mock interview Program. Of course Interview Stream is available to use 24/7/365, while in-person Mock Interviews are scheduled only for certain times during business hours.
Thanks to Kohl's for sponsorship, starting fall 2014, of this service to benefit Virginia Tech students.
Mock Interview Program
> In person
> In Career Services
> By appointment
> On-line sign up