Handshakes in the job search
Handshakes are extremely important in the job search.
A good handshake that makes a positive impression:
• Full contact, palm to palm.
• When you extend your right hand, your palm faces left, not up or down.
• Gender neutral. Women and men give and receive the same type of handshake.
• Held for about two to three seconds.
• Eye contact during handshake.
• Exchange verbal introduction or greeting during handshake.
• Smile (unless handshake occurs during expression of condolence or other situation in which a smile would not convey the appropriate message).
Need practice just on the handshake?
If you visit us for walk-in advising or an appointment, we'll be glad to give you feedback on your handshake.
Handshake feedback is also a part of our mock interview program.
CampusCareerCenter.com > Get a Grip: Handshaking 101
QuintCareer.com: Avoid these 10 interview bloopers: Poor handshake
eHow.com: How to shake hands at a job interview