Requesting extension of deadline to accept or decline offer
In some cases you may need more time than the employer has allowed to make a decision. What to do:
You may ask for an extension; the employer does not have to grant it.
Make sure you have a concrete and appropriate reason for asking for an extension. Expecting to hear soon from another employer with whom you've interviewed is a legitimate reason. If you just hoping to get more interviews, that's not a concreate reason.
Dont wait until the last minute to ask for an extension; this looks like you don't think ahead and may indicate that you might behave the same way on the job.
Be tactful and diplomatic in your wording. You will need to explain your reasons to the employer. For example, if you have an upcoming, previously scheduled interview with another employer, you may explain that it is important to you to keep your commitment to the other employer, and that in order to make the best decision, you need to attend the other interview.
For the sake of speed, phone the employer to discuss the situation. For the record, you should follow up in writing. Since this is a request that needs to be handled quickly, e-mail is probably the best method to confirm your request. See sample letter below.
What to do when you have one offer, but are hoping to have another that would be your first choice.
Sample letter: Request for extension of deadline to accept or decline job offer:
If this were sent as hard-copy, your address and contact info would appear at the top.
Since this type of request needs to be handled quickly, most likely you would communicate verbally and use e-mail for confirmation in writing.
(sample of e-mail)
(March 1, 20xx)
Dr. Thomas G. Jones
Dear Dr. Jones:
Thank you for your telephone call and letter that I received yesterday offering me the position of wildlife biologist with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. I am excited about the opportunity this position offers both in terms of job duties and location, and I very much appreciate your confidence in offering me the job.
You asked that I make a decision by next week on March 7.
This is an important decision, and unfortunately I do not
have all the information I need in order to make this decision
by that date. To confirm our phone conversation of this afternoon,
I am asking you to consider whether it would be possible for
me to supply you with my decision by March 28. I would very
much appreciate such an extension, and assure you that I will
be able to make a firm decision by that date.
Job offers: deciding responding
Requesting extension of deadline to accept or decline